Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Idaho

We are now in Island Park, Idaho at the Valley View RV Park. We will be leaving for Billings, Montana tomorrow morning. I'm still playing catch up with my photos that we've taken on this vacation, but I am almost up to date now. We took a few trips back into Yellowstone. Those were the last few blog entries that I made. Now that I've finished up the Yellowstone photos, I'm now going to post a day trip that we took in Idaho. We drove south down highway 20 from our camp to a town called Ashton where we picked up the Mesa Falls Scenic Byway. This byway turned back up north again. It runs part way along the Henrys Fork of the Snake River. This was a beautiful byway with several turn offs along the way. Also you can view the lower Mesa Falls from a turn off, but at a distance only. You can't get up to them. BUT......the upper falls are just outstanding! You can walk right next to these beautiful falls on a metal walkway and then tour the old Big Falls Inn afterwards that is now a museum and gift shop. Ok.....I will stop boring everyone with the details and get to the photos!

This first photo is one that I took along highway 20 of the bales of grain. I'm not sure what type of grain it was, but the shape of the bales caught our eye. They are flatter and more square than the old type bales that we all knew as kids before those round bales were developed. Here's a livestock farm......
Of course we could not leave out a photo of an Idaho potato field! We saw a few scattered here and there. We are on the edge of the area of Idaho where all of those potatoes that we all love are grown.
To follow are the photos that we took along the Mesa Falls Scenic Byway. What a beautiful drive. We would highly recommend it to anyone that is in this area of Idaho.
Below are the Upper Mesa Falls. Here below is a shot of Henry Fork of the Snake River....

Can you tell that I'm not at ease sitting on this wall? LOL

See the rail there right next to the falls. This was an amazing view here of the water rushing over the cliff!



The beauty of these falls was just breath taking!


There was a neat room in the Inn that was filled with pelts of area animals. You could touch them and see just how large or how small the animals are. This Inn was used by the early visitors to Yellowstone NP as a stage coach stop over. Was a really neat place to see. I loved the porch!
Here was a batch of wildflowers outside the Inn. There were several flower beds there that were being taken care of by the ranger. I believe that these wild flowers are Fireweed.
My next entry will most likely be made from Billings, Montana.
Happy travels everyone!

No comments: